Becky's Brides is a Birmingham, Alabama based wedding planning studio creating joyful weddings full of Southern hospitality. Thanks for stopping by.
Sophisticated. Traditional. Sleeves. Strapless. Silk. Chiffon. White. Stark White. Ivory… The decisions go on and on when it comes to finding THAT dress, YOUR dress. This is a pretty big deal. Ok, it is a HUGE deal and one of the most important decisions you will make while planning your dream wedding. If you are just starting along your bride-to-be journey, what you may not know is that finding the perfect wedding dress could be one of your greatest feats up until this point of your life. At Becky’s Brides, we strive to equip our brides with bridal wisdom while leading them through the journey to their stress-free, happily ever after. So here are some strategies we believe will make your search magical:
Tip #1: Make an appointment.
– One of the great things about bridal shopping is that at each bridal shop, more times than not, you will receive personalized care. Your Bridal Consultant will go out of her way to make sure that for an hour (or two or three) YOU are the most important person on the planet. Appointments are critical and your lifeline to a great experience. You deserve it ladies. Also, avoid Saturdays at all cost.
Photo: Breanna Fogg
Tip #2: Bring the right people.
– The phrase “Be with those who bring out the best in you, not the stress in you” pretty much sums up the company that should accompany you while you are making such an important purchase. Remember, your wedding dress is an investment, financially and emotionally. Bring someone who knows your style yet is not afraid to tell you that gown you think is the absolute most gorgeous piece of Italian Silk heaven is, in fact, hideously horrible, and then hideously horrible some more. Also, keep the guest list minimal at all costs by inviting only a choice few.
Photo: Joanna Ballentine
Tip #3: No photos allowed.
– Most Bridal Shops will have a no photo policy unless you purchase a gown from their store. Bridal shops invest a lot of time into their brides and by allowing photos to be taken before purchase they risk brides spending hours trying on dresses in their store for them to turn around and order the same dress online for a fraction of the cost. Although we all like to save money, online purchasing takes away the personal experience, and let’s face it, you never know what you will end up with.
Photo: Allison Lewis Photography
Tip #4: Shop early.
– Wedding gowns typically have to be ordered and can take 6 months plus to arrive.
Photo: J&D Farms
Tip #6: Dress to impress… yourself.
– This is not the day to roll out of bed with yesterday’s make-up and a messy, slept on bun. On your wedding day you will pull out all the beauty stops. So we recommend spending a little time doing your hair and make-up as a way to better envision what that gorgeous dress will look like in the limelight of “I do”. This would also be a great day to have your trial hair and make-up run.
Photo: Allison Lewis Photography
Tip #7: Sizes run small.
– Don’t stress if you measure for a bigger size than you wear. You do not need to rush to the gym or start a no-carb, no fat, no food diet. Be prepared to have your size run about two sizes smaller than your everyday wear.
Tip #8: Be prepared to throw modesty out the window.
– Your bridal consultant (i.e. your bridal BFF) may need to assist you in getting gowns on and off. Don’t worry; she is a professional and will think nothing of that spur of the moment, happy face tattoo hiding on your derriere.
Photo: Getty Images
Tip #9: Bring your undergarments…and wear underwear.
– Bring a strapless bra with you if possible. If you do not have one, or are not sure what kind of bra you will need, most bridal stores have these for purchase along with any other items you may need during your dress fitting.
Photo: Sam Jasper Photography
Tip #10: Try different styles.
– Be open to styles that are not what you typically would go for. You may be surprised by what is found to suit you best or will be the most flattering on your hips.
Photo: J. Woodbery Photography
Most importantly, savor every second of your bridal shopping experience. It is a memory that will last a lifetime.